Wednesday, June 13, 2007

To Honor Bama's Vets, Techs, and Vet Staff

Today I needed to stop by the vet hospital, and I was again touched by the compassion of the vets, techs, and administrative staff. They are also grieving Bama's loss; how they loved that little dog! The vet I spoke to today talked about how their body of knowledge increased dramatically by treating such a severely injured dog. I believe many vets would have given up before they started, but the vets and techs at the vet hospital and emergency clinic were as committed to fighting with Bama as I was. We all saw how much my little lamb wanted to live. They gave her an invaluable 30 days, much of it spent where she most wanted to be--at home with her family. Their approaches were creative and innovative. And when they could do no more, they understood that Bama and I needed to be together as she was dying. They not only made room for my Dad and me in the midst of all the other work they had to do, including vital work they needed to do for Bama, they continually asked us if there was anything we needed or anything they could do for us.

Do I regret not taking her to Virginia Tech? Not for a second. These people were meant to be in our lives at this time. Bama imprinted their hearts for a reason, and they were the exact people we needed to give her this precious extension of life. I am honored that they were in the right place at the right time to be there for us.

I hope that none of them will waste energy second guessing themselves. I will not taint Bama's memory with false guilt, and I don't want any of them to do so either. Hindsight is always 20/20. The usefulness of that hindsight is not to say, "If only, if only." Bama's legacy is to take the new knowledge and use it to save other beloved pets in the future. All of the vets, techs, and administrative staff have played an invaluable role in Bama's miracle.

Vets and techs have an extremely stressful job. If you are like me, you have probably taken them for granted over the years of your pets' lives. I will never do so again. They see the wonders of healing at times, but they are also the ones who must inject the needle or hold the animal when no more can be done. Along with examples of the best of humanity, they also see the worst, as well as the animals who suffer at their hands. Their hours are long and their sacrifices many. I am grateful for the work they do.

Because they were touched by Bama, I have invited the vets and techs who worked with her to share their thoughts about her here. I also hope that the administrative assistants will share their memories of Bama. Dad and I visited the hospital or emergency clinic with Bama everyday. Their smiles and courtesy helped make those times much easier.

The comments of these professionals are a way to help memorialize Bama and a way to honor their efforts on her behalf. I also invite any of you who are reading to share your thoughts about Bama as well as any stories you have about how vets, techs, and other vet staff that have worked with your beloved pets have made a difference in your life.

No comments: